[Edu-sig] slashdot: Teaching Primary School Students Programming?

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Mon Aug 28 16:13:20 CEST 2006

Elaine wrote:

>When I was the computer teacher in a primary school
>back in 1983, I taught Logo. Everyone loved it!
>
>-Elaine

The problem might be the "progress" of Logo since 1983.

When I go to:

http://el.media.mit.edu/Logo-foundation/logo/programming.html

I see the potential of Logo in introducing kids to programming
abstraction.  One types within the framework of a defined syntax, and
gets immediate results, or informative errors.

When I take the next step and look at major current implementations - I
downloaded StarLogo and NetLogo - I am confronted with Logo environments
with lots of GUI doo-dads.  And lots of ambiguity about the purpose of
this environment.  Is its primary focus to introduce programming, or to
explore computer simulations for the benefit of what it is the
simulations teach us.  There *is* a fundamental difference.

It is hard for me not to describe these environments as
"self-involved".  That is always the problem with these kinds of
environments - to me.  One, in some sense, must "submit" to them, with a
promise of rewards if one does so.  But the kids most likely to excell
at Logo are, IMO, also the ones least likely to be the ones comfortable
with submitting to an imposed (not selected) environment.

The solution is simple - simplicity, less environment.

Why is this obvious to me, and lost on the MIT folks?

Art