[Edu-sig] Request advice/opinions on translations for Crunchy

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 22:49:09 CEST 2006

Hi everyone,

This message may not be of huge interest to people who don't need to
use languages other than English.

I've started the French translation for Crunchy.  There are four types
of translations that need to be done:
1. Navigation menu within Crunchy. [Done]
2. Actual documentation and tutorials. [Not done except for the intro
html page - will not be done for a *long* time, at least not by me.]
3. "messages" to the user.  For example, we've simplified the Python
tracebacks so that the message is more user-friendly.  Also "button
labels" are going to be translated. This is the main part I am working
on to translate.
4. [and this is what I'm mostly asking about]  Graphics commands, for
example circle() or set_line_color() or set_line_colour()  [we support
both syntax ;-)].  The strings are ready to be translated [i.e.
replace circle() by cercle(), or set_line_color() by
couleur_de_ligne()] but, since the documentation (and tutorials) are
likely to be only in English, I'm wondering about the wisdom of
translating them.

Any idea?

André