[Edu-sig] An interactive version of "How to Think Like a Computer Scientist, Learning Python"

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 19:28:55 CEST 2006

Hi Jeff, and all...

Johannes will most likely do a follow-up, but I thought I should add my $0.02.

On 8/12/06, Jeffrey Elkner <jeff at elkner.net> wrote:
> Dear Johannes,

[snip]

> * the original source for the book is in lore, which is a subset of xhtml.  If the VLAM required for Crunchy will pass through lore without complaint, and if it will do "the right thing" on a site that doesn't have Crunchy running, then we could include the VLAM in the main source of the book.

I have not looked at the lore source yet, only at the output from it.
It does look like the two could co-exist at the "original source
level".  The essential bits of VLAM (which stands for Very Little
Added Markup) occur inside <pre> tags, in the form of:
<pre title="some vlam keywords">.  If lore doesn't care about the
title attribute of the pre tag (and I would be extremely surprised if
it did), everything should be fine.

When a page is processed by Crunchy (version 0.7 - not released yet),
there is an automatic (style-based) coloring of the python source that
takes place (in addition to the insertion of the interactive
elements.) This means that Crunchy has to be fed an "original source"
rather than one processed from a lore file as it does its own styling;
Crunchy's colourizer would croak on trying to process python code with
added styling.  Furthermore, Crunchy would replace (I think - never
had to check) any existing "class" attribute inside a pre tag by its
own.

We'll try to have the new version released this week so you can see
for yourself; lots has changed since the last public release (0.6).

André