[Edu-sig] Freedom: some Smalltalk history and Python implications

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 04:46:41 CEST 2006

On 8/11/06, Arthur <ajsiegel at optonline.net> wrote:

> I wonder why there is choice to be condescending on any level - seeming
> you agee that there has been, at some.

Well it's hard, when you're out in public, to know precisely whom
you're dealing with.  You don't want to be a hard ass with every
friendly face, so you try to be polite, yet not too cold... and
immediately they take it as a put down, because if you really
respected them, you'd be doing kung fu like in The Matrix.

> It's quite easy not to be, really.

I don't experience that.  Some people find 'cartoons' as a genre
condescending (what, you don't think we could take the 'for real'
version?).  But I'm saying *only* cartoons work in some corner cases
(not really trying to hold back the hard stuff).

> Lot's of strange choices by a man, who as you said is - "quite confident
> in his genius".

Disney too.

> Just another case of a sub-genius like myself unable to keep up?
>
> Art

Praise Bob.