[Edu-sig] Don't kids program anymore?

francois schnell francois.schnell at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 22:18:43 CEST 2006

On 30/04/06, Radenski, Atanas <radenski at chapman.edu> wrote:

> Darren Payne wrote:
>
> > Like I said at the start kids want games, fun and
> > multimedia - colour, music and animation / video

I tend to disagree about the "fun" need.

Kids are not interested for long about  video games (or educational
activity)  which are just "fun". The game has to be difficult enough to
challenge them and when they master a level they have no envy to do it again
just because  it's colorful, multimedia, violent, sexy, etc.

As Seymor Papert explains I believe the real challenge is to make education
*hard-fun* for each pupil (which is very different of making it "fun"):

http://www.papert.org/articles/HardFun.html

francois