[Edu-sig] Fractals

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 16:17:39 CEST 2006

> For kids who do not know about complex numbers, it might be easier
> to introduce fractals in the xy plane. It is also a good idea to
> make a graph instead of looking a the numerical sequence; that will
> be more exciting. We can use a simple graphic format: PBM.

That was coming.  The c in z**2 + c ranges over a patch of the complex
plane, with the colored dot measuring the convergence/divergence at
that point.  Fractals are a vehicle for understanding complex numbers
in my book -- to avoid them is to miss an opportunity.

http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/fractals.html

I like that you're working from the prompt, interactively.

> P.S. another fun and easy way to introduce fractals is with the "chaos
> game".

I also use Wolfram's stuff in Tk to introduce unpredictable complexity
from simple (perhaps unknown) rules.

Deja vu.  Haven't we had this discussion before?