[Edu-sig] Bootable Python CDs?

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 19:09:39 CEST 2006

> This is a more general solution in that it saves everything from the
> desktop, but requires Knoppix. Your solution sounds better if they were
> moving between Windows, Linux, and Knoppix.
>
> -Doug

In my reality, it'd really send the wrong message to bypass the
already-functional Windows 2000 and go with a bootable Linux CD.

That says "to learn Python, you have to use Linux, Windows isn't
sufficient" which, given all Python has done to be at home on Windows,
is a very undermining idea.

Python is Windows friendly and will become more so as IronPython develops.

On the other hand, if the lab is already a Linux Lab (like we had at
the police station), then I have no attachment to pushing Windows in
any way, except to encourage kids to use Python at home, even if
Windows is what they use (which is true in many cases -- still the
choice platform for games they tell me).