[Edu-sig] HTConsole

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Thu Apr 27 03:24:12 CEST 2006

Thinking about some of these discussions, I decided to explore building
a Python console app, available as a web page.  No sandboxing; it's
intended to be run on localhost.

It's still pretty rough and doesn't have a ton of neat features.  The
file management is pretty weak, and doctesting is just stubbed out.

Anyway, you can get it with:

   easy_install HTConsole

Then run "htconsole" and a web page should pop up for your interactive
pleasure.  The ideal is to make Python objects live and editable through
the web page.  For instance, if you define a function it will be listed
with its body in the web page, and you can edit the function in place.

Unfortunately it's easy to run out of room, so I might have to explore
other ways of displaying information.  Also, there's a bunch of problems
I've had -- like how to get the body of functions, and how (if it is
possible at all) to update a function in place, just to start with.

But anyway, with some imagination maybe you can see what's interesting
about it, and maybe point out directions for further work that might be
more fruitful from your own perspective.

--
Ian Bicking  |  ianb at colorstudy.com  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org