[Edu-sig] PC terminology to end processes? (was Re: Tips ...)

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Wed Apr 26 23:51:37 CEST 2006

kirby urner wrote:
> Learning to kill a process is pretty basic.  I'll have kids start 'em
> just to kill 'em.  They enjoy the sense of power this gives them.

I see the value in encouraging kids to have a sense of their own power,
but I have a script on my system (just for myself) which lets me type
"stop" instead of "kill".

Even in a virtual world of computing, is teaching kids to "kill" a good
message? Language does effect thought to an extent.
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapir-Whorf_Hypothesis

I feel a bit the same way about some user manuals that go on about
"depressing" or "hitting" buttons. "Press" is a better choice I think.

Also, someday those processes might represent sentient AIs and attempting
to "kill" them might have serious consequences. Perhaps good to to get
kids thinking about the potential rights of any sentience, even now. :-)

--Paul Fernhout