[Edu-sig] DocTest Quiz

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 18:43:11 CEST 2006

> Thanks, Michael!  I've written up a brief description of the tool I'm looking for here:
>
> http://dc.ubuntu-us.org/projects/doctest-quiz.php

I'm interested in this project as well.  Per my day one blog post re
Shuttleworth Summit:

What Alan and I most agree on is the need for Wikipedia type content
to mix with an interactive component. He showed me his recent
Javascript implementation of Logo. I'm reminded of our ability to
create interactive "labs" in the J language. Python needs a more
developed interactive teaching module: show some stuff, give students
a command line, show more stuff, and so on.

[ http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2006/04/shuttleworth-summit-day-one.html ]

The J language lab is a very useful, yet simple tool, allowing
teachers to write interactive scripts that show J, then turn control
over to students, show more J and so on.  Having labs run in a browser
would be a double plus ("server side" might just mean on the local
classroom server -- no broadband need apply).

Here's an example of a J Lab as it appears to the author.  Students
running it will get a friendlier "chatty shell" that walks them
through a series of exercises about turtle graphics:

http://www.jsoftware.com/jwiki/BrianSchott/code/turtleGraphics/lab

Kirby