[Edu-sig] pyGame tutor for high school students wanted

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Fri Sep 16 22:56:10 CEST 2005

Hi Dan --

I doubt it's practical to request any intensive hand-holding regarding a
for-school project, or rather, they'd be lucky to get that, especially for
free.  However, Pygamers tend to be friendly and the documentation is itself
something of a tutorial.  I managed to code up some presentation management
software simply by having the docs open, the API spelled out.  After that,
it's a lot trial and error and building on past experience.

Pygame is good for 2D games, especially puzzling strategy games, less so for
rapidly scrolling anything, and if you want to go 3D, I think you're talking
about just using Pygame as a front end for PyOpenGL.  That's something I'd
like to learn myself.  I'm envious of the very simple and effective OpenGL
examples Ruby ships with, and given how X is moving to that platform, in at
least one distro, I feel increasing pressure to figure a Python angle (from
a curriculum writer viewpoint), or to jump ship when it comes to OpenGL,
maybe just buckle down and learn the Ruby way.

In the meantime, we have VPython, which in a lot of ways is better than
OpenGL, just because it's so simple.  I don't think the full potential of
VPython as a gaming engine, at least for small teams of coders, has been
tested.  It made my hypertoon dream come true, why not these others?

My recommendation:  have your students work through the Pygame tutorial on
their own, and see if it seems like the kind of thing they want to get into
more deeply (the tutorial I'm thinking of involves a monkey as I recall, or
maybe it's a rocket ship).

I'd also recommend you work through it yourself at some point, just so
you'll have an approximate understanding of what they're encountering.
Pygame is pretty low level. Alternatives exist.  Have they looked at
GameMaker yet?

http://www.gamemaker.nl/

You're the teacher -- doesn't mean you have to know everything (nobody
does), just that you demonstrate a strong willingness to learn (the key to
being an effective teacher in any field, I should think).  CS (including its
application in game making) is one of those "always a student" disciplines.

Kirby