[Edu-sig] python versus __python__

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sun Oct 23 18:01:12 CEST 2005

Arthur wrote:

>Us non C programmers look forward to PyPy for the view of the netherworld it will
>give us.  In truth I expect PyPy to bring a new burst of creative energy to the
>Python world, just by opening up the possibility of lower level exploration to
>a wider group of folks.

So I go the next step, download PyPy, and get at app_complex.py  - which
is the pypy implementation of the Python complex function, implemented
in Python - all as advertised.

Which is nicely transparent to someone who can read Python well-enough -
as advertised.

Not too surprisingly, it uses our friend property to implement the read
only aspect of .real and .imag, so that by simply commenting out the
property functions I seem to have what I think I want, the ability to
work with a complex number object, with the ability to write directly to
.real and .imag.

Probably from there I rename it from "complex" to "Complex" - I like
case sensitivity for these kind of reasons - so that I remember I am
working with the Python function not the built-in function, then inherit
from it as I was intending to do with the builtin, and then plug it into
PyGeo.  Sacrificing performance - no doubt - with the upside of running
it through some paces (the pypy module acknowledges it is not well
tested, and if there are any issues perhaps they will be uncovered, and
contributing to pypy in any small way seems worthwhile),  seeing if the
architecture I had in mind is actually sensible, and seeing if I
discover why there was a decision to make .real,.imag read only as to
the builtin.

Yup - pypy is going to change things.