[Edu-sig] Low Enrollments.

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Tue Oct 18 00:03:00 CEST 2005

Kirby,

I think we're largely in agreement here, it just seemed that you were
saying that what you do as a small business and what Microsoft does
is ethically equivalent, which I don't agree with.  I do agree that
the solution is not to legislate business out of schools.  I think
the solution is to a) ignore Microsoft, and b) make Microsoft
irrelevant (they are allowed to help with this, and have been making
great progress %-)

> What I want to do:  field a fleet of cybervans to roam the country,
> coming
> to town in circus mode, and staging educational knock-your-socks-
> off events,
> or inservice trainings with less fanfare, then leave.  Schools
> exposed to
> this new curriculum will usually wanting more -- it's an exciting
> future
> we're advertising.

Where do I sign up?  I'd seriously like to hear more about this.  My
wife is doing her Ph.D. in Education right now, and keeps asking
herself (and me), "why am I doing this?"  We're looking for more
signs of progressive change.

> I've already made a lot of progress in this direction.  So what if
> some of
> these cybervans have a Google decal on the side?  Or 4D Solutions.  Or
> Global Data Corporation.  All good companies.  And if Microsoft
> wants to
> field similar assets?  Well, why not.  We'll compete.  We believe
> in a level
> playing field.

I also want to start teaching Python in the community, but am having
trouble starting (both figuring out a good starting point, and
freeing time from other commitments). I'd like to hear more about
your progress, maybe I can get inspired to join you.

--Dethe

Choosing software is not a neutral act. It must be done consciously;
the debate over free and proprietary software can’t be limited to the
differences in the applications’ features and ergonomics. To choose
an operating system, or software, or network architecture is to
choose a kind of society. --Lemaire and Decroocq (trans. by Tim Bray)