[Edu-sig] Microsoft's KPL

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Oct 8 01:56:09 CEST 2005

Maybe the GE Foundation is a legitimate foundation doing legitimate
foundation work. Great the ways those things happen.

Henry Ford was a dangerous anti-Semite. He assured his right to free speech
by buying a newspaper just for that purpose.  God bless him.

The Ford Foundation does consistently interesting things.

But is the GE Foundation contributing to gender unfairness by directing its
largess toward math and science curriculum ;)

Perhaps the fact that we will apparently have what I think is our 1st
mathematician on the Supreme Court (undergraduate degree of Miers) who is
also our second women on the Supreme Court will play some small part in
muting that nonsense.

Back to David's point.  There is no denying that there is politics alive in
the public schools hurting education.  As a damn good "for example" would be
the notion that math and science, according to some vocal segment, needing
to be de-emphasized in the interest of gender fairness.  I have heard that
in PythonLand as well. Arghhh. Certainly I would not be in a position to be
the kind of administrator willing to work with and within *everybody's*
sensitivities.

Again, personal frame of reference:

I have a sister who can out think me as a mathematician while whistling
Dixie.

Art