[Edu-sig] Python as Application

Chuck Allison chuck at freshsources.com
Tue Nov 1 18:15:06 CET 2005

Hello Kirby,

Tuesday, November 1, 2005, 9:03:28 AM, you wrote:

>> That's fine, but call a spade a spade. I don't like seeing technical
>> programs masquerading as bachelor's degrees. We have plenty of
>> technical colleges people can go to for that sort of thing. It's the
>> deception I object to.
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>>  Chuck

KU> Fair enough, though I also find academia's nomenclature somewhat broken, as
KU> well as medieval.  All these "philosophy doctors" (weird).

And I agree 100%! I am a dissertation away from a Ph.D. with no plans
of finishing. I was a developer for 20+ years. The college I teach at
is student-centered. We a yet offer only 2 and 4-year degrees. My
favorite book on all of this is "Killing The Spirit: Higher Education
in America". I highly recommend it.

KU> Employers have to look well beyond just the degree stuff, to get a sense of
KU> what a candidate might actually know or be able to do.

And they do, of course. The degree promises some breadth, which is
important. Probing interviews and meaningful references clinch the
deal.

--
Best regards,
 Chuck