[Edu-sig] Edu-sig Digest, Vol 22, Issue 26

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sun May 29 00:17:46 CEST 2005

That sounds right.

But -

In the last three months, as the fates have it, I have written more VB code
than Python code. One can accuse VB of a lot of things - being (relatively)
hard to learn I don't think is legitimately one of them.

But I don't even include VB as a language I know.  Essentially, mentally, I
am solving the problem at hand in Python and then figuring out how to
express the solution in VB.

And I am working in VB in the most sophisticated of development
environments, and with access to the most complete and wide-ranging
libraries. I got tool tips up the kazoo, it completes my words, it's all
there, it's efficiency personified, it's heaven on earth - except that I
won't go near it unless you pay me, and I can't think of a single
interesting thing to do with it all.

Python and a text editor, and my imagination starts to come alive.

I don’t know why, really. I do know I'm a fairly mainstream fellow,
all-in-all.  I'm not looking to beat a trail off the beaten track, for its
own sake - I don't believe.

What I *can* do is respect my experience  - and since it has been loads of
fun, try to find clues on how to make it reproducible.

But I don't find "easy" a clue to anything.

Art