[Edu-sig] K-16 CS/math hybrid

André Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Tue May 10 14:06:56 CEST 2005

Arthur wrote:

>>Behalf Of Kirby Urner
>>Subject: Re: [Edu-sig] K-16 CS/math hybrid
>

>>Children understand about conventions.  I draw an invisible line on the
>>car
>>seat:  sister stays on her side, I stay on mine.  But there's no electric
>>fence (much as we might wish there to be).  Java provides electric fences.
>>Python provides lines in the sand.  Children know the difference.
>

> If someone insisted on wasting their time on designing a programming
> language for children, I would strongly recommend them limiting its options
> -  certainly to the extent that it would have no interest to an adult, being
> adult.

I happen to subscribe to the philosophy of giving children a "small"
language to play with ... but try to give them easy means to extend the
artificial limits given to them as they are ready to do so.

Children learn to speak (human languages) with a few "baby" words, and a
very simplified if not absent grammar.  Parents often interact verbally
with their children in a similar way at a young age.  Soon, the
communication skills of the children improve, and the parents keep
giving them more to learn.

Never is a line drawn on the sand per se.

And when it comes to computer language, rather than speaking in the
abstract:

There are quite a few programming 'language' that were designed for
children.  Take logo, turtle graphics, etc.
Richard Pattis (who indirectly inspired me) introduced a subset of
Pascal together with a few high-level instructions given to a robot
as a means of introducing computer programming.

I personally subscribe to a similar philosophy, but with no artificial
boundary enforced.

Start small, but give them the chance to expand beyond what you might
think is their limit.  They might surprise you.

André