[Edu-sig] Edu-sig Digest, Vol 22, Issue 26

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Sat Jun 25 20:59:21 CEST 2005

> But one that has only been exasperated by an initiatives like CP4E.

Exacerbated?

> Do I have a right to resent the fact that I have needed to make myself
> into a pain-in-the-ass, and face insult, within the Python community in
> order to try to re-direct its thinking in approaching the educational
> community and positioning Python as a factor within it.
>
> Whether I do or not, I do.
>
> Art

Hmmmm.  Methinks you over-dramatize.  Most of the Python community (always
changing/growing) isn't aware of these little tempests in teapots, nor is
there some monolithic "hive mind" that characterizes all thinking Pythonic.

You've taken aim at bloated, graphics-intensive environments (like Alice)
that insulate students from learning any real programming, giving them
instead some dumbed down command set and a lot of gee whiz razzle-dazzle.
No real maturity develops.

I appreciate the concern and share it to some degree.  It all comes down to
diet.  A little Alice is OK, like a little cheesecake.  Better work out in
the gym with LISP afterwards.

But I don't think you needed to make your points at the cost of casting
yourself as a pariah, ostracized prophet or whatever.  You're just a guy
with a strong point of view.  There's plenty of room for that around here.

If you really want the bouncers to throw you out of the bar, so you can
*really* feel bitter, you'll have to do better than that -- plus stop being
so funny.