[Edu-sig] Recent projects

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Fri Jun 17 00:22:58 CEST 2005

1.  Rational Number Class and Continued Fractions

I went back and redid a Rational class (again!) and fed it to a continued
fractions procedure (I know there's a non-recursive one that's cool -- I
think Tim Peters showed me it years ago).

Golden Mean = Phi = the fraction:

453973694165307953197296969697410619233826
280571172992510140037611932413038677189525

(approximately).

See link:  The pedagogy of "how things work" (Math Forum thread) at my
http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/cp4e.html

2.  Jython + POV-Ray

I had occasion to use Jython:  the old Qhull algorithm for finding a convex
hull has been implemented in Java by John Lloyd.  This means I could
conflate what had been two programs (Python + Qhull) into one (Jython). Of
course I still need POV-Ray to render the results.

See link:  http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/wgraphics4.html

The Jython piece will probably feature in my talk at OSCON, which is about
how the Open Source community, Python's in particular, has benefited the
Design Science community (see talk description for details).  Waterman
polyhedra have been one of our research topics for some years.