[Edu-sig] Re: Edu-sig Digest, Vol 19, Issue 22

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Mon Feb 28 01:46:35 CET 2005

> Python IS a GREAT language to start out with ... but
> simply put, the lack of GUI means only the most
> committed students get anything out of it without alot
> of coercing from me.

Also, on the GUI front, I think a nice compromise, if you're not wanting to
code up inside of Tk (e.g. with John's graphics.py) or wx, is to do cgi and
use the browser as your GUI.

Even with a whiz bang GUI, there's still a question: what does your program
*do*? i.e. what's the GUI about?  One needs at least *some* guts behind the
cosmetics.

As a FoxPro programmer, I know the appeal of dragging widgets from palettes
the Microsoft way.

Speaking of FoxPro, I'd choose VFP over VB any day for teaching.  The
language let's you define classes, not just use objects (VB .NET is just
catching up), plus you've got all the project management tools, even though
it's not inside Visual Studio.  Plus you've got a better interactive
environment, embedded SQL and I think a cleaner syntax (OK, I'm biased).

Indeed, I was well on the way towards pushing VFP as the teaching language
of tomorrow when I discovered Python.  Here's an article left over from that
chapter, about VFP + POV-Ray: http://foxpro.advisor.com/doc/05315 (print
issue: March 1999)