[Edu-sig] Re: Edu-sig Digest, Vol 19, Issue 22

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Feb 26 15:48:44 CET 2005

> Behalf Of Darren Payne
>
> For the remainder of students who have chosen IT more
> for general interest I use VB (last year, 2004, we did
> Python, console based programs are really boring!).
> This year I have changed and moved to Gamemaker. I
> have read huge amounts of material advocating
> programming games as a way to encourage kids to think
> - (analyse, synthesise, evaluate, plan, design,
> manage, communicate) ... AND I have never seen such
> enthusiasm for programming, smiles from ear to ear -
> even the girls love it! BTW Gamemaker written in
> Delphi - I think - and has its roots in Pascal.

I don't mean to be combative, but I do look forward to
IT loosing its privileged status in this regard,

"analyse, synthesise, evaluate, plan, design,
manage, communicate"

I would hope that would be occurring in all aspects of the
curricula, but that in no aspect of the curricula could it be
considered sufficient outside the context of the substance of
the subject matter.

Bottom line, games are being made.  And what is being taught is something
about how games are made.  Fine.  But let's not elevate beyond that.

Should the rest of the staff allow themselves the same basis
to judge their success?

Smiles, and girls like it.

Math teachers - poor suckers.