[Edu-sig] python satacad: class 6

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Sun Feb 20 00:25:51 CET 2005

I started with a reminder of how Python comes with this huge standard
library, but then is routinely supplemented with still more 3rd party
libraries.  Case in point:  Pygeo -- it depends on Numeric (very wide
spread) and VPython (less wide spread but still popular).

We all installed Pygeo and played with the examples for awhile (Islamic
Patterns especially).  I extolled the virtues of open source yet again:  you
may learn from my friend Arthur's source code, just how one throws together
an app of this nature.

Then I dove head first into a detailed exposition of RSA, using my rsa.py
and talking about Bob, Alice and Eve, per usual.

Then we dove into vectors for awhile:  translation, rotation and scaling
being the big 3 computer graphics transformations.  I started constructing a
vector class, then switched to a fully developed one.  That led us back to
POV-Ray and some pre-rendered polyhedra downloaded off the netlib library.

That took me out to the Internet and George Hart's site (georgehart.com),
where we took some time with VRML views of Archimedeans (13), Platonics (5)
and Johnson polys (92).

That got me into talking about stereo and cross-your-eyes freeviewing
techniques (Springie went 3D over this last week, but I couldn't find my
stash of glasses).  We checked some examples at grunch.net/snelson

Then I let them play and explore, handing out evaluations, certificates of
completion.

My own assessment:

I dropped the ball a few times in this final class.  The RSA stuff was a
reach and needs work.  I'm not going to abandon that effort.  I think I at
least got the gist of it communicated.

I had this whole rap about Calculus Mountain and how I was taking a path
*around* it to give 'em a sneak preview of stuff usually hidden on the other
side. I invoked a scene from 'Lord of the Rings' -- wouldn't been better to
have played the actual clip (trying to get over those mountains, before
opting for the way beneath: Moria).

The vector part was weak and my attempts to connect back to the pre-written
stuff was clunky.

But the biggest and most important omission was this:  I totally spaced
diving into J, which I was saving as a kind of mind-expanding farewell
experience, a telling reminder that the world of computer languages is big
and full of interesting animals.  I could feel the void, like the class had
ended too soon, with me short on material.  That's why.  Next time, I need
to have a notebook with a script.

I'm glad I get to run through this same course again come April.  I'll be
rereading my notes here on edu-sig, polishing, making things connect better
-- provided anyone signs up that is.  The weather is getting nice and it's
getting harder to imagine anyone willingly spending so many hours on such
sunny days in a darkened computer lab.

I likely won't do as detailed a post mortem on each and every segment next
time.

This was a good experience though.