[Edu-sig] Financial calculation

ajsiegel at optonline.net ajsiegel at optonline.net
Mon Feb 14 20:47:27 CET 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Kirby Urner <urnerk at qwest.net>
Date: Monday, February 14, 2005 2:41 pm
Subject: RE: [Edu-sig] Financial calculation

> > Though maybe my calculations need to be checked, in Python.
> >
> > And I still don't own any Apple.
> >
> > Art
>
> Why is it useful to take a sudden spike in a stock, use that to
> derive an
> annual growth rate of 500%, and plug that into a compound interest
> formularunning out 10 years?

Why is useful to repeat the story of the King and the grains of wheat
and the chessboard?

I assume you know my reference.

Same reason, different era.

> By the same reasoning, finding a $100 bill on the sidewalk will
> make me a
> gazillionaire, so I should just quit all my jobs and retire.

Only if you can find a why to compund it a 500% over some
substanital time period.  Else you just found $100.

That used to buy a nice pair of shoes.

> Over on the Wittgenstein list, we call this "language idling"
> (i.e. doing no
> work).

If you say so.

Art