[Edu-sig] "The study of fixed points has been at the foundation of algorithms"

Grégoire Dooms dooms at info.ucl.ac.be
Wed Dec 14 18:53:58 CET 2005

Arthur wrote:

>Guess I am fishing for some exposition on the statement that the
>
>"The study of fixed points has been at the foundation of algorithms"

Very deep in the foundations of algorithms are the foundations of
computer science semantics:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denotational_semantics

An other area where I've been exposed ot fixed points is concurrent
constraint programming where constraint propagators are applied to a
computation space until a fixed point is reached (see for instance
http://www.gecode.org/ for a Open source implementation).

HTH,
--
Grégoire Dooms

PS: Where is the connection with education with/about Python ?