[Edu-sig] Python Programming: Procedural Online Test

damon bryant damonbryant at msn.com
Sat Dec 3 18:19:48 CET 2005

Kirby:

Thank you for your feedback!

You completed the Declarative measure.  I am also interested in your
feedback on the Procedural test in which Python application or procedural
questions are administered. Questions on this part are coded and displayed
as they appear in the IDLE with highlighted key words and indentation for
nested code. I think the longest code problem is about 20 lines.

I appreciate your comment on the ability to specify font type/size because
I'm currently working to accommodate persons with disabilities and others
who may have difficulty viewing the text.

Linda Grandel and I have an experimental site that we use for research and
educational purposes; we are going to trial some Python questions for a
class of her colleagues but are having some difficultly translating the
testing in a short period. This is a long-term project.

We have the goal of developing a worldwide database of Python test norms in
an effort to track progress on the spread and proficiency of the language in
different countries. Although it is a great idea, it is too large for a
dissertation research project. If you are interested in trialing it with
your class, perhaps we can collaborate.

You did notice that towards the end, questions got easier for you. The test
algorithm is adaptive but the question bank from which the items are pulled
is not that large. In other words, the test presented items that were most
appropriate for you when you began the test. As you got more items correct
you got harder questions. In contrast, if you initially got questions
incorrect, you would have received easier questions. Because the bank is so
small (I do have plans of expanding it when I get some more time on my
hands), you exhausted the bank of difficult questions and began to receive
easier items. The opposite would have happened to an examinee of very low
ability.

My goal is to administer a computer adaptive Python test where examinees
will only receive questions that are most appropriate for them. In other
words, different examinees will be tested according to their ability. This
goes back to Binet's idea of tailored testing where the psychologist
administering the intelligence test would give items to an examinee based on
previous responses. In the present case, it's done by computer using an
artificially intelligent algorithm based on my dissertation. By expanding
the question bank, I'll be able to reach that goal.