[Edu-sig] Beyond CP4E

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Thu Apr 14 15:32:19 CEST 2005

It is precisely the ubiquitous nature of PCs and the level of abstraction
achieved for its use that argues *against* it significance in the classroom.

My argument here not coming from abstract thinking, alone.  I talk to young
folks about their exposure to PCs in school and mostly hear that they are
being taught things that either they already know, or know they can find out
for themselves easily enough when the time comes to find it out. If they
want to find it out. They are being bored, mostly.
School does enough of that already.

Show them how to find state capitals on the internet by writing complicated,
obtuse text files and they know well enough they are being taken the long
way around.  My son was asking Mr. Jeeves early in the game.

Yes, there is some thought and effort that can be given to getting folks
below the surface of the machine's interface.

But getting to the PC and the Fab machines is ludicrous, when the light bulb
hasn't been tackled, and something like a primitive radio beyond the scope
of what it seems realistic, or worth the effort, to tackle (somehow).

What are we thinking?  What am I missing?