[Edu-sig] FW: RFS: python-visual - VPython 3D scientificvisualization library

JanC janc13 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 02:42:52 CEST 2005

On Apr 9, 2005 9:05 PM, Arthur <ajsiegel at optonline.net> wrote:

>>  Behalf Of JanC
>>
>> I'm not 100% sure, but AFAIK Ubuntu doens't _require_ the package to
>> be in Debian before they accept it?
>>
>> You might ask on the ubuntu-devel mailing list or on the #ubuntu-motu
>> channel on the Freenode IRC network (MOTU = Master Of The Universe,
>> the 'title' given to the maintainers of universe).

> What I had already done is contacted Floris to make sure he was aware of
> ubuntu, suggesting that the ubuntu folks might have a particular interest in
> seeing a well maintained Debian packaging of VPython, considering their
> general favorable inclinations toward Python.
>
> Turns out he is in fact a ubuntu user, and enthusiast.

I'm a happy Ubuntu user too.  :-)

> And he seems to imply in his response that the avenue he is pursuing was
> what he thought was necessary to have VPython accepted into the ubuntu
> universe - or at least the course of least resistance in doing so.

I asked one of the MOTU today...
It's not required for a package to be in Debian first, but they prefer
if it goes into Debian before or after it goes into Ubuntu universe,
because that makes maintenance easier for them.

Anyway, now that "Hoary Hedgehog" is released, Floris has several
months to make sure VPython gets included into Ubuntu 5.10 "Breezy
Badger", which will be released in October this year.  ;)

--
JanC