[Edu-sig] RE: "Croquet Project" and Python ?

Rick Hanson rick at tamos.net
Sat Oct 23 16:55:06 CEST 2004

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Art wrote:

> The first thing I do on a new Windows machine is set everything I can
> get my hands on back to Classic Windows, as quickly as I can. For no
> good reason other than it is what I already know, and every minute I
> might spend getting comfortable with a new interface is a wasted minute.
> And if they keep that toggle alive until Windows2020 I will probably
> still be availing myself of it.

Hey Art,

I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit here.  If you are like
others I know, they revert back to Classic Windows solely because it is
the better interface for them.  They have no use for "pretty" cruft which
only hides information they used to get.  Filenames and large icons
displayed for each file is not a compact information design.  Classic
windows with the details view (size, date, time, etc.) is usually what you
need to see most of the time; not anything less.

If the new interface were truly better, you might see enough advantage to
take a little time to learn it -- that would only payoff every time you
used it in the future to an indefinite period.  But alas, the new
interfaces do not seem to be better at conveying information than Classic
Windows, but worse; and they just "look better".

Cheers,
--Rick