[Edu-sig] "Croquet Project" and Python ?

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Oct 22 13:39:35 CEST 2004

Francois writes -

>I fully agree with you and I advise everybody to read "The future of ideas"
>of Laurence Lessig.
>http://www.lessig.org/blog/
>http://creativecommons.org/
>But can they succeed to control an emergent system ? It depends of all of
>us and or capacity to organise :
>http://www.eff.org/

>>Is the Squeak community actually surprised that there is someone like
>>myself
>>out there with these sentiments?  That, to me, would itself be surprising.

>Like I said I'm not very much in. Like the song "I'm free like a bird" and
>I like to evolve in my opinions and experinces.
>I'm following Squeakland, croquet and squeak-fr mailing liste (not
squeak->dev anymore) and I know few french Squeak good fellows. I'll ask but
I >always try to avoid to fire community wars (it's often a lost of time for
>the projects themselves).
>Otherwise I respect people/community who/which do (rather than talk of)
>things and Alan Kay / Squeak/ Croquet belongs to them (even if I desagree
>on important points to me and I expressed already that on their list).

I see a contradiction in your statements.

On one hand:

"It depends on all of us and our capacity to organize."

And on the other:

a position that we should hold our peace in certain of the most important
forums where these emergent ideas are being formulated. And not challenge
the operating assumptions within those forums. One distracts.

I think you would garner some support for this position here.

My position - as I demonstrate - is quite otherwise on this point.

I've obviously concluded that concerned citizenship within these kinds of
communities - from people who are involved and producing and contributing in
concrete ways - demands otherwise.

It's possible that I do not enjoy violating the implicitly demanded
etiquette of this particular forum as much as some might suspect. But open
discussion and open source go nicely together, I think.