[Edu-sig] "Croquet Project" and Python ?

David Handy david at handysoftware.com
Wed Oct 20 16:07:04 CEST 2004

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 09:09:24AM -0400, Arthur wrote:
> Francois writes -
> >
> > I recently discovered the  new "croquet project":
> > http://www.opencroquet.org
> >
> > But it's Squeak based :-(

> What do see in croquet that is connected to education? What is the
> importance within an educational setting of collaboration in virtual 3d
> space? Compared, for example, to collaboration-in-the-flesh,

I went to the Croquet web site, and got the impression that it was another
massively-multiplayer online game, but possibly less violent than most. :)

Is it educational? Yes, highly educational - for the people designing and
building the system itself.

Writing computer games is far and away more educational than using
(playing) "educational" software. When I was a teenager and dinosaurs roamed
the earth (early 80's) I wrote games and simulations, and so did my friends.
One of my ambitions with the book I have written is to try to rekindle that
"lost art" among today's youth. I have had at least some success in my
previews so far, which gives me some hope.

David H.