[Edu-sig] project funding?

Reuben Grinberg reuben.grinberg at yale.edu
Tue Oct 19 18:17:24 CEST 2004

Hello,

I was just reading about CP4E and was very impressed - too bad it
didn't get funded fully. I've got a lot of ideas that coincide with the
CP4E proposal, although on a slightly smaller scale. Essentially the
system I have in mind is a combination of the wiki paradigm and
technology with the HyperCard (which I first programmed in many years
ago) / PythonCard paradigm.

This would alleviate the problem of installing an IDE on every computer
because it would be web based. The program would also automatically do
source control and would allow students to share programs. In addition,
I remember the Hypercard idea made it really easy for kids to start off
doing simple things but eventually move on to more complex projects.

I'm most concerned with making my ideas free, easily-accessible, and
useful to schools. However, I also have to consider supporting myself
and others who may work on the project.

I'm thinking about trying to start a non-profit based on the idea, but
I wonder if there are other options such as joining a current group or
company. I'm a senior at Yale majoring in Computer Science and I'm
currently applying to PhD programs in CS, but I am seriously
considering taking a detour for several years for this idea.

Guido van Rossum suggested I take a look at the bounties at the
Shuttleworth foundation (http://www.markshuttleworth.com/bounty.html),
but at first glance none of them seemed to fit my idea.

I'd really appreciate any guidance or advice you could lend on the
subject!

Thanks,
Reuben Grinberg
Yale University, Trumbull College '05