[Edu-sig] Advice: is python suitable?

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Thu Oct 7 13:36:58 CEST 2004

Peter,

In general Python has many advantages over C and Basic. It is much higher-level than C, it has a cleaner syntax and better abilities for program structuring than Basic, etc., etc.

But of course anyone on this list will feel the same way :-)

To address your specific question, first I should say that I don't really know what I am talking about - I don't have experience solving physics problems in Python. But looking at the class exercises I don't see anything that can't be done in Python.

The biggest problem you will have is just being different. First you will have to learn Python, and learn the Python equivalents to what you are shown in C and Basic. Second, the C and Basic packages your school uses have been enhanced with tools for your problem domain, for example the graph() and fft() functions. You will have to find comparable tools in Python and learn how to use them. If you have problems you will have to find help outside of school also.

My suggestion is to try solving the class exercises in Python. This will force you to address these issues early. If you are successful you can continue with Python for your projects.

By the way, on this list you will find an enthusiastic reception to your plan to use Python to _teach_ physics.

Kent