[Edu-sig] Re: Introductory high school programming class - Python or TeachScheme

Bruce Cohen bic at cgl.ucsf.edu
Thu May 6 13:30:42 EDT 2004

Having taught a high school programming class using each language, I want
to throw in my two cents.

I am a math teacher who (having both academic training and experience in
CS) was willing to teach a programming class when I arrived at my current
school in 2000.  To prepare students for the AP CS class, students were
required to take a one semester class in programming.  My colleague was
using C++ (then the AP language) as the vehicle for introducing
programming.  Although I was comfortable with C, I did not think that C++
would work well, so I too went off to the net and found Python.  I really
liked Python, but was somewhat concerned about having to develop my own
curriculum.  In 2000, there was not as many Python resources available as
there are now.  Through this very list, I discovered TeachScheme and
attended a workshop during the summer of 2001.  I really liked the
TeachScheme philosophy and the availablility of the text _How to Design
Programs_, online.  (I teach in a public high school where resources are
very limited.)  In scheme, the focus is really on design ideas and not on
syntax -- not that Python syntax is that difficult.

I don't have a clear preference for either language.  I think both are
good places for students to begin.  The advantage of TeachScheme (for me)
was the well designed curriculum.  My sense is that students have more fun
with Python.

At any rate, I am now very happy to limit my CS involvement to monitoring
this list, while all of my teaching is limited to geometry and calculus.

-Bruce
        Bruce Cohen                    |  e-mail: bic at cgl.ucsf.edu
	Lowell High School             |  http://www.cgl.ucsf.edu/home/bic