[Edu-sig] Learn to Program in Ten Years

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Sun Dec 26 23:50:16 CET 2004

In a message of Sun, 26 Dec 2004 14:24:47 PST, "Kirby Urner" writes:

>At the OSCONs I've managed to attend (2003, 2004), wxPython attracted a high
>degree of interest and attendance.  We've seen some exciting completed works
>making use of it.  I've not seen similar enthusiasm for pyGTK.  This might
>be the big-fish-in-a-small-pond syndrome, but, as I mentioned, I'm not ready
>to form a judgment along those lines.

While you are preparing judgements -- both wxPython and The Gnome Desktop, hence
the GIMP, GTK and PyGTK are more popular in North America than they
are in Europe.  We are vastly more likely to use KDE than Gnome.  wxWindows
is not all that popular here: I am trying to think of a single site that uses
is, and coming up empty.  But I can think of 10 QT sites off the top of my head.
Anecdotal for sure, but I don't think I am useless as a barometer of local
popular sentiment.

Which reminds me.  Nearly everbody I know wants a Mac for Christmas.  So perhaps
we are only numerating the dinosaurs here.

Laura