[Edu-sig] comments on Idle and Python

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Wed Dec 8 14:01:12 CET 2004

Kent writes -

> Maybe someone should propose a patch?
>
> Kent

Therein lies an OT tale.

I am a bit familiar with the IDLE code because relatively early in my Python
learning cycle I used it for its tutorial value.  One of the important
things about having IDLE in the standard distribution is the fact that it
can serve as a "model" application to study. (The main problem I had at that
stage was trying to sort out what was Tkinter specific code, and what was
Python "built-in" code.  But sorting that out was part of the challenge it
presented. It wasn't easy, at that stage of the game. But I find "hard",
within reason, more educational than "easy".  How to measure "within reason"
being where the art comes in. I think Python is well proportioned in this
regard, which is what finds me here. ((I am not a lawyer, but have some
legal education - and understand the legal edifice to be built upon the
fiction of the indefinable "reasonable man" (((s/b reasonable "person", but
we know what is meant - at least now))), which perhaps prepares me to be not
uncomfortable with an educational philosophy built upon a concept of
"reasonableness", un-measurable though it may be.)))

Have I digressed?

I would like to distribute PyGeo with an IDE. And about the only thing I
require beyond IDLE's native facilities for the PyGeo IDE is the ability to
add another level of syntax highlighting for the PyGeo specific API. The
ability to customize in this fashion is a feature of most programmers
editors, which is why we find Python syntax highlighting possible on most of
the programmers editors out there.

Not surprisingly, IDLE, under the covers, is designed with some modularity.
And it looked to me by touching a few lines of existing IDLE code - whalaa -
the ability to add domain specific color syntax highlighting was there.

Which I then suggest on the IDLE-DEV mailing list.

No response.

Resend, pleading for a "no" if that is to be the response.

No response.

Private e-mail to the current lead developer.

No response.

Perhaps you have better luck.