[Edu-sig] How do we tell truths that might hurt

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Apr 24 18:43:41 EDT 2004

> I'd say it was about as easy, if not easier than writing a
> function kepler() to solve the (transcendental) inverse of
> Kepler's equation (solves M = E - e * sin(E) for 'E', i.e.
> E = kepler(M)). Which was the first real program I ever
> wrote in FORTRAN (at least the first one that ever compiled).

I can't be sure, but I am suspecting that it was Keplers equation which was
the issue, not the programming to solve it.  If the course requires you -
courses sometimes do that ;) - to understand Keplers equation, we seem to
have a home run by knowing enough programming to solve it that way.

What is the Python solution?

Can we make a head-to-head with your text processing solution?