[Edu-sig] Question ?

Jason Cunliffe jason.cunliffe at verizon.net
Tue Apr 20 03:08:21 EDT 2004

> On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 08:44:54AM -0400, Jason Cunliffe wrote:
> > What is the opposite of programming?
>
> Your question implies that we have a definition of programming! ;-)

Yes well of course that was largely my  purpose!
... And  to see how such an inverted question might revealing and perhaps
more effective :-)

An immediate follow-up I was going to ask:

a. [What is the opposite of programming?]
b. Is there / can there be such a thing?

It was lovely to see Kirby Urner encircle that swiftly ...
"Maybe it's all programming (with feedback -- two way street).  As runtime
humans, we get as good as we give."

Philip Kent managed to take it literally at the same time injecting
satirical jab at educational politics:
"In education, I think very often being programmed by someone or something
else."

http://www.pasteur.fr/~letondal/Figures/3-prog-dim.eps
Thanks for the Peter Wegner reference and diagram. I read some of his work
several years ago. That diagram very much reminds me of Alan MacEachran's
wonderful work on Cartographic Visualization.
http://www.geovista.psu.edu/members/maceachren/
In  particular he developed a map "use" cube. Its a brilliant tool for
thinking about problems and design dynamics - by providing a cognitive
spatial continuum.
The method is easily extendible. In fact I grew an entire project out that
approach.

Sorry can't find any online version of it at the moment, but meanwhile
here's a nice 1992 article he wrote called
"Visualizing Uncertain Information"
http://www.geovista.psu.edu/members/maceachren/cp/amm_cp.html

Anyway, thanks for all your feedbacks thus far. Would love to read more..
-- Jason