[Edu-sig] The Pedagogical Patterns Project

Greg Matheson lang at ms.chinmin.edu.tw
Sat Apr 17 03:17:39 EDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Jason Cunliffe wrote:

> Patterns are designed to capture best practice in a specific domain.
> Pedagogical patterns try to capture expert knowledge of the practice of
> teaching and learning.

This is an interesting development of the Design Patterns movement
in programming I think. The ways in which programming is similar
to and different than teaching are exciting, I think.

We can argue about whether  teaching is easy or difficult and
the differing (or similar) emotional rewards of programming and teaching.

I think the relationship of a program and execution of the
program is different than the relationship of instruction and learning.
Learners are a lot more autonomous.

Knowledge of patterns is not the only problem. The rewards may
be similar, but the investments are different.

Teaching as programming done by monkeys.

But I'm only an amateur programmer.

--
Greg Matheson, Taiwan