[Edu-sig] C vs Java

Liow, Dr. Yihsiang yliow at ccis.edu
Tue Apr 13 09:36:48 EDT 2004

Learn C. The person(s) who told you C is dead is simply out of touch
with reality. C is *not* dead and probably will never die. Go to
sourceforge.net and take a look at the projects in C/C++. Linux, Unix,
Windows are written in C/C++.

My guess is that the people you're talking to is referring about *jobs
prospects*. There are *apparently* more jobs for Java programmers
compared to C/C++ simply because Java is used a lot in business
applications. (You can do a search on www.monsterboard.com for "Java"
and "C/C++" and compare:
C/C++: 1444
Java: more than 5000
But there are other factors to consider when you're looking for a
language because of job prospects. For instance the *number* of C/C++
programmers. It's an issue of supply and demand. Some schools are not
teaching C/C++ anymore. Which means C/C++ programming skill will be more
valuable. Furthermore, I believe that Python is a much better language
than Java when it comes to business applications (and in other areas).
So who knows what will happen to Java in the next 5-10 years?

You mentioned learning a low level language. Well, C would be the best.
You might also want to look into game programming using C/C++. Game
programming does get you into some low level stuff. Besides, it's a lot
of fun.

- Yihsiang