[Edu-sig] java

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Wed Oct 15 13:20:39 EDT 2003

I think there's a trend in many US colleges and universities towards using
dynamic languages for non-CS course, vs. the more static ones.

Static languages require declaring variable types before use and are
generally a lot stricter, and therefore take somewhat longer to learn.

If I had to choose one over the other, I'd take Python over Java.  Students
would be more productive more quickly and it's easier to teach.

Static languages include:  Java, C, C++, C#, Pascal, ocaml
Dynamic languages include:  Python, Perl, Ruby, FoxPro

That being said, Java is a capable, contemporary language and the skills one
learns are transferable to other languages.

For more readings see:
http://altis.pycs.net/2003/05/02.html

Kirby