[Edu-sig] A small essay in my own defense

Kirby Urner urnerk@qwest.net
Tue, 08 Jul 2003 08:07:28 -0700

At 09:52 AM 7/8/2003 -0500, Arthur wrote:

>problem 4. I am incredibly enthusiastic about the possiblities for the use
>of Python as a catalyst for some changes in the way things are taught.

I think this is where you and I most overlap.

As to head count, to me it seems an inevitable megatrend that Python
will continue to grow in popularity.  It's a side-effect, not a
number we have to push on directly through Java-style hype.  If a
much cooler high level language suddenly shows up, that'd have an
inhibitory effect, but at this point in time, Python has a very
secure niche and is thriving.

CP4E is clever enough as a *direction*.  I like to say that knowing
something about programming is like knowing something about internal
combustion engines.  Yet we're not all mechanics.  It's just helpful
to know "how things work".  To get there, it's good to program, at
least a little (more than the VCR).  I just learned yesterday that
even the latest Photoshop from Adobe has Python bindings, so you can
script it.  Confirmation anyone?  Hands-on experience?  My Photoshop
is too old.

Anyone with an office job with a computer on the desk is probably
up for automating a few tedious tasks from time to time.  But we're
not all office workers, I realize that.

Is knowing how to program (even a bit) becoming something like
knowing some piano forte during the Victorian period, for young
eligible women especially?  If it improves your chances of getting
a date, then you *know* it's an important skill.  We're not there
yet -- except in some circles.

Kirby