[Edu-sig] Re: Least used builtins?

Arthur ajs@optonline.net
Sun, 06 Jul 2003 05:51:05 -0500

> Kirby writes -
>
> >What does or doesn't make sense to the newbie is irrelevant.

I would, BTW, have very little to say if, for example Guido took that
position.  Please understand that he has taken the position, here, that the
decision about "copy"  was made with the newbie in mind. at least in good
part.  That having it as a built-in would result in its overuse by the
newbie.

Its the cultural norm to go there in Pythonland.  In a recent rehash about
case sensitivity, I begged Alex Martelli *not* to go there. And there he
went.

My comments on "copy" were in response to a point about built-ins and
*newbies* being made by Dr. Mertz - one of the more prolific Python authors.

I could accuse you of being bullying and politic, for choosing to go after
*me* on this issue (rather than Guido or Martelli or Mertz), and in somewhat
haughty and nasty terms.

But of course I don't want to .

Art