[Edu-sig] Python promises a revolution

Michael Williams michael.williams@st-annes.oxford.ac.uk
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 02:45:36 +0000

On Friday, February 21, 2003, at 12:57  am, Kirby Urner wrote:
> A reason for talking about objects even in an intro course is it
> gives you access to generalizations about the Python primitives
> and helps explain the object.method() or object.property syntax
> that one typically uses, even when not defining classes of one's
> own.

Indeed. A desire to use as little "magic" syntax as possible almost led
us to make a brief explanation of objects for precisely this reason.
Instead we relegated it to a footnote for the interested student:

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~sann1276/python/handbook/node35.html#foot1321
(at the bottom), and discussed it in the dissertation:
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~sann1276/python/report/node40.html

--
Michael