[Edu-sig] Alice update

Arthur ajsiegel@optonline.net
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 15:48:12 -0500

Stumbled upon the "new" Alice - out in 2.0b:

http://www.alice.org

Ironically, the "old" Alice claimed to be about "Interactive 3d Graphics for
the Web" - not about programming education, and did have some Python
content.

The new Alice:

''''
The focus of the Alice project is now to provide the best possible first
exposure to programming for students ranging from middle schoolers to
college students.
"""

But has *no* Python content that I can see.

Other than using some Jython ministerially in the infrastructure.

Which, to me, is neither surprising, nor a bad thing.

But I do hope the Python in education materials, links and references are
eventually updated to reflect the fact that Alice has no relevance to
Python.

I am sure it would be totally confusing for someone interested in Python and
education to find themselves directed to www.alice.org. Even more so than
previously.

Art