[Edu-sig] re: Python Programming: An Introduction toComputerScience

Jason Cunliffe jason.cunliffe at verizon.net
Fri Dec 19 10:32:46 EST 2003

> I think VB is becoming less useful.  MSFT is trying its best to bring
along
> a generation of VB programmers, but if you're just starting out, might as
> well use C# against the .NET framework.  It likely has a brighter future.
> Or Java.

Yes. Annecdotes..

A longtime VB business [forms/database] programmer I met recently is very
wary about VB.NET and everyone he speaks with now [including me] recommends
Python. He said that he felt Microsoft has been very misleading with their
langauge naming. By his account VB.NET is not the old VB6.

I only dabbled in VB6 about 5 years ago cause I wanted to use some ActiveX
components in a Director Lingo project.
Drop in Super Calendar Widgets and IPWorks! Very cool - both packages saved
me tons of time for  proof-of-concept.
I honestly did not have the skills to create those even if I had the time..
And when I found the http://www.vbxtras.com/ site it was quite exciting. So
I caught the 3rd party module bug, but disturbed by the deeper  proprietary
inderpinnings of MS and MM  I searched around for open cross-plaform
replacement system and found Python. Happy day :-)

- Jason