[Edu-sig] re: Python Programming: An Introduction toComputerScience

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Sat Dec 13 19:53:17 EST 2003

In a message of Sat, 13 Dec 2003 16:19:06 PST, "Kirby Urner" writes:
>Laura wrote:
>> I think that a problem we have is that programming is seen to be tied t
>> math, and numeracy, (as is problem solving in general) rather that
>> literacy, and the arts and humanities in general.
>
>Yes, I agree.  Another way of saying it, however, is that numeracy skills
>have application in the humanities.
>
>I like Kappraff's 'Connections:  The Geometric Bridge Between Art and
>Science' (2nd edition) as a source of good programming ideas.[1]
>
>Kirby
>
>[1] http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/9810245866/ -- too bad
>it's so spendy.

Oooh, thank you!  I am getting this out of the library and reading it
over Christmas.

One good turn deserves another:

http://www.cambiumbooks.com/books/design/0-9643999-1-1/
http://www.cambiumbooks.com/books/design/0-9643999-0-3/

David Pye -- the Nature and Aesthetic of Design + the Nature and Art
of Workmanship

David Pye was a professor of Architecture and a woodworker.  But these
books are about the creative process, and the creating of anything.

Laura