[Edu-sig] FW: Recent presentation on Kid's Software for Linux

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Thu Dec 11 08:04:18 EST 2003

Though software for "kids" is not a great interest of mine, I forward this
knowing there has been much general interest in the subject emanating from
others on the list.

One thing I got from a quick look at the presentation was quite positive.
Clearly distinguishing between entertainment and educational software.
Probably the biggest reason I react negatively to the general subject of
software for kids is that there seems to be a reluctance to make clear
distinctions here.  Particularly in the case of non-commercial software.
Somehow if its directed at kids, and comes out of the opensource community,
its educational  - in some overly vague way.  Obviously there is nothing
wrong with opensource efforts to entertain kids. But there seems to be a
habit of misclassification, or certainly vagueness, here.

Art