[Edu-sig] Draft of a funding request

Michael McLay mmclay at comcast.net
Mon Dec 8 16:05:14 EST 2003

On Monday 08 December 2003 03:33 pm, Gerrit Holl wrote:
> Michael McLay wrote:
> > Developing Python 3.0 is expected to take two to three years to complete.
>
> Is this true?

I was doing this from memory from a conversation with Guido last year. I
believe his ROM on the effort was a $1M, effort that would take a couple
years. I made the Kellogg proposal for three years because the education
software distribution would be funded for three years. Hopefully the Python
3.0 release would not take that long.

 my Spambayes
> spamfilter gave this a 6% chance of being spam (looked a little bit like
> 'Nigerian etc'), and it was in the 'unsure' folder because of a 5%
> treshhold ;)

Interesting. I can assure you that this is not a scam, but if you forward your
account numbers to me today....

I'm very serious about finding funding for the PSF. I was being optomistic
about putting together a credible NSF grant that is due on the 16th, however,
there are future NSF opportunities coming up which are more realistic. I do
think it will be worth the effort to submit the letter of inquiry for private
funding.