[Edu-sig] Lines of code and programmer time...

Dethe Elza delza@blastradius.com
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 10:18:17 -0700

> I seem to remember hearing a few times about a study somewhere that
> said
> that programmers produce about the same number of lines of code in a
> given amount of time regardless of the language.  Does anyone know
> anything about this study? (or is it a figment of my imagination? :-(

Paul Graham, in his article "Succinctness is Power"[1] attributes the
general idea you're talking about to Fred Brooks "The Mythical
Man-Month."  I don't see a specific quote, however.

In "Patterns of Software," Richard Gabriel makes a important corrolary
point.  He refers to Compression rather than Succinctness, and compares
it to the way language is used in poetry to generate multiple meanings.
  But he warns that compression without habitability (another important
feature he discusses) leads to write-only languages (I'm paraphrasing
liberally).  In other words, taking succinctness as the only measure
leads to Perl %-)

Graham's article is a response to something Paul Prescod wrote, namely,
"Python's goal is regularity and readability, not succinctness," which
Graham translates as "Python's goal is regularity and readability, not
power."  My take on it would be "Python's goals emphasize regularity
and readability (habitability) over succinctness (compression)."
Python is extremely succinct compared to Java, C, or C++, but verbose
compared to Perl or Lisp.  On the other hand, I've found Python to be
easier to read and comprehend than any of those languages.

HTH

--Dethe