[Edu-sig] re: Slighly OT: O'Reilly article [other resources for newbies?]

Jason Cunliffe Jason Cunliffe" <jasonic@nomadics.org
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 17:47:58 -0400

Guido
> >   http://uselesspython.com
> >
> > Sorry, it doesn't really strike me as a strong newbie resource.

I am surprised by that.
What kind of newbie, is the *key* question to ask?

I would imagine uselesspython is very welcome site, especially the tutorials
page which I proposed earlier. The informal, irreverent tone and evident
self-deprecating sense of humor throughtout will turn off some, but surely
attract others. There is nothing to intimidate here. The personal tone of labor
of love, and slightly wacky mood is great. The real message is simple and
important:
"Hey you too can program Python and its fun!" Pefect for some newbies imho.

Rob
> Useless Python has received a few hundred "thanks for existing" email
> messages from newbies, despite what I consider to be grossly-inadequate
> management on my own part. This is the reason the site remains in place so
> far.

Rob, please can you characterize your readers for us:

What level, age, response ?
What's most popular, what sort of questions ?

> Since the site is an out-of-pocket expense stemming from my love of the
> language, I would appreciate constructive advice.

Thanks, and please do keep it up.
and since you asked the conventional designer in me says

Navigation 1:
A direct short site intro and clear table of contents might be a good idea.
Since some pages are longish, repeat navbar at the bottom discretely.
Make the "Useless Python" logotype a home page button.

Navigation 2:
The un-identified 16 numbered source page links at the top could be improved.
Any kind of table of contents, tabbed navbar, simple row of names right under
the main menu or blog-style down the left margin in small list.

Also once one has clicked it should be clear which page of the 16 one is one.
Likewise which have already been visited. This can be done using a couple of
lines of simple CSS in an external linked file so you can quickly tweak the
results to your satisfaction.

Navigation 3:
Rollover alternate graphics for your main menu would them clearly buttons not
just text. [yeah its eye candy, but it helps]

Master Index:
A simple large table page with links to everything on the site, and one-line
description would be good. At-a-glance what's here.

Yeah all boring stuff I know.
./Jason